Vintage Fashion Investigation...
Everyone is talking about vintage fashion nowadays. And at the same time no-one explains what is really vintage.
Of course there are a lot of dictionaries, articles and books, but non of them unfortunately gives the deep meaning, the spirit, the soul of vintage.
That's why we at Vintage Fashion Club decided to make an investigation in the heart of retro fashion in the UK. We wanted to find out what is the real Vintage in fashion.
Here is what we've managed to discover, speaking to British fashion designers, London vintage fans, and Bricklane's sellers and buyers:
The Age of Vintage
Let's start with a simple definition, vintage clothing and accessories are older than 20-25 years, but not more than 85. Those figures vary: sometimes vintage includes 1920s fashion, sometimes 1920s clothing and accessories are considered to be antique, mostly it depends on the actual garment. Anyway, time goes by and vintage definition changes.
The reverse cut off point is 1980s (which is ambiguous as well). Though New York magazine last year were interviewing a shop assistant who works at New York City vintage boutique Foley + Corinna, and she said they're considering the early 90's as the starting point for vintage.
Vintage clothing is like old wine...
'Vintage' is a French word originally used for wines older than 20 years. And this is the key for understanding vintage fashion.
As you know, age for wine is a very valuable advantage. The older a wine &mdash the better: higher quality, more expensive and respectable. Therefore vintage oldness has a touch of chic and glamour.
But not all the old clothing and accessories can be defined as vintage, even if it is produced during the mentioned period, just as not every wine can be left to age and become vintage.
As time goes by, bad wine can become only soar vinegar and never good old vintage wine and the ordinary ugly clothing can become only an old trash and nothing more.
On the other hand a beautiful 1930s beaded handbag which had been created with talent, lovingly worn and carefully kept inside it's own box on the top shelf of a wardrobe, bag that has a history, has memories of its time and romantic stories. Even if you don't really know those stories and memories it still has this touch. It's old but it's noble.
To make long story short vintage fashion is NOT just a name or a year on the label, but style of the past, retro glamour and romantic history.
- Vintage Fashion BLOG
- Welcome to the latest European Vintage news. Retro markets reviews, fashion tips and advices on where to find the best vintage shopping.
- 20th Century Fashion
- The fascinating 20th century fashion created what we now call 'classic look', and left us with some original vintage garments...
- Vintage Clothing and Everything About
- Vintage fashion fans share extensive knowledge and experience about vintage clothing, retro shoes and accessories; money-saving vintage sales; clothing collections and best vintage shops…
- Women's Vintage Clothing
- Curious review of the brightest fashion sparkles in the women's vintage clothing are of course Art Deco box shaped dresses from 20s, bias cut from 40s, 50s Fancy wide ballerina skirts, 60s minis...
- Men's Vintage Clothing
- How to get the most of men's vintage clothing. Where to start your vintage shopping. And do you actually need it…
- Vintage Shoes
- What are most famous shoes' models from the past decades. Best shops for vintage shoes, how to translate vintage sizes, how to maintain. ...
- Retro Lingerie
- Retro lingerie ideas for your vintage date, erotic mood or just for fun. All the names of the vintage undergarments, how they look, how they fit, the best lingerie items to combine together, ...
- Vintage Fur Coats
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Buying Vintage Fur Coats
- Vintage Jewellery
- List of the best vintage jewellery designers, favourite jewellery pieces of the 20th century, tips and advices...
- Vintage Accessories
- Vintage Accessories Ideas. The best of the retro creations and how they’d been worn
- Vintage Eyewear
- Vintage eyewear cntribute to your style. 6 great reasons to put on a pair of retro glasses.
- Vintage Sun Glasses
- Top 10 Shapes of the Retro Shades. Good news is that it’s very easy to chose the best pair of vintage sun glasses for yourself...
- Top 10 Vintage Women's Swimsuit Ideas
- There are so many Vintage women's swimsuit styles from different decades: Vintage Swimsuits of 1920s were made of knitted cotton or wool…
- Vintage Luggage
- Stylish accessory, interior details, nostalgic flashback, and other vintage luggage ideas
- Vintage Fabric
- The secret of vintage fabric popularity, why do we love it in thirty or even more years after it went out of fashion?
- Vintage polka dots
- Polka dots first became common on clothing in the late nineteenth century in Britain. But famous polka dot dress came from 50s...
- Vintage Clothing Shopping
- Vintage clothing shopping is exciting as much as shopping can be and even more exciting because it’s a bigger adventure when you may find...
- Designers' Vintage Labels - Cheap and Chic
- 4 simple steps to recognize vintage labels. When you chose clothing to buy for your retro wardrobe labels can definitely help you to make the right choice.
- Vintage Wedding Ideas
- Cool ideas to make your vintage wedding retro stylish and beautiful...
- Vintage Holiday Ideas
- Top 10 Curious Vintage Holiday ideas to make your next summer retro style...
- Beutiful Vintage Clothing London Event.
- Beautiful vintage clothing London exhibition and sale in gorgeous Town Hall in Chelsea. Reviewes, opinins, prices...
- 1970s Fashion. The Daisy Age
- 1970s fashion is a Mixture of casualness, fluidity and fantasy, psychedelic colours and prints...
- Vintage Style Clothing
- Vintage style clothing (or vintage inspired) — is a clothing that is produced nowadays though its look reminds or even completely reflects the model from the 1920s -- 1980s…
- 20th Century Fashion Movements
- The brightest representative of vintage styles are the revolutionary 20th century fashion movements: Art Deco, New Look, London Mod, Teddy, The Swing Kids, Stilyagi, Hippie and Punk...
- How to Wear Vintage Prom Dresses
- Vintage prom dresses have become very popular nowadays. Celebrities wear them even on the red carpet. And no surprise here: retro dresses are usually good quality, unique model...
- Vintage Tee Shirts
- are must-haves for a vintage fan. Vintage tee shirts match any jeans and jackets perfectly, they reflect your personality and emphasise your mood, your way of thinking, your free spirit…
- Vintage Shoreditch shopping in London
- Shoreditch is he most iconic vintage area in London. If you are looking for the best shopping, vintage Shoreditch will open its door for you: Old Spitalfields Market, VIntage Sunday Up Market and Bric
- Portobello Market on September Sunday 2010
- This is the most famous vintage market in London. And because Portobello Market is world famous some of vintage fashion boutiques have turned to be simply souvenir shops
- Cheap Vintage Clothing
- Actually affordable retro accessories and cheap vintage clothing is out there waiting for you! Many people just want to get rid of ‘old stuff’ from their wardrobe, not everyone is a vintage fan...
- Vintage Fans
- Guys and girls who love vintage clothing, and love shopping, fashion designers, collectors… share their opinions, sources of inspiration, advices and tips...
- Vintage Louis Vuitton Authentic Guide
- How to buy ONLY original vintage Louis Vuitton bags and NEVER to buy a fake... There are some very particular signs that help you to tell the authentic bags from counterfeit
- Vintage Halloween Decorations Ideas
- Vintage Halloween decorations will help you to create a unique atmosphere. No plastic pumpkins, no modern hi-tech lamps, no bright coloured lights, only candles and retro lamps and old good pumpkins..
- Vintage Pearl Jewellery
- Top 5 styles of the vintage pearl jewellery. How to maintain them. And why pearls become yellowish with age…
- Vintage Turquoise Jewellery
- Vintage turquoise jewellery. Ideas, Tips and Advices… Retro turquoise jewellery is very different depending on the decade they were designed. They can be in bronze, gold, silver...
- Vintage Scarves and Shawls
- Vintage Scarves Review. Top 10 scarves and shawls from the last century. 'What a big deal… vintage scarf? It's so simple, it's just a strip of fabric…' But it is a big deal...
- Art Deco Jewellery
- Art Deco jewellery often focused on bold colors and geometric shapes...
- Vintage Christmas Decorations
- Vintage christmas decorations will turn your winter holiday into romantic old fashion fairy tale. Retro decorations will emphasise a hand-made, pre-digital past of this holiday...,
- Iconic Vintage Leather Jacket Styles
- A vintage leather jacket is a 'must-have' for any vintage fan. Curious list of the top 8 retro leather styles from the 20th century...
- 70s Clothes Ideas
- 70s clothes are truly iconic. The whole decade of the 1970s themselves are amazing. New fashion, new inventions and new musical styles...
- Camden Market
- Camden Market has always been known as a place where the most extravagant people are: goths, hippies, punks etc. etc. and of course the vintage and the handicrafts market...
- Vintage London Event
- One of the best vintage London events of a season is Frock Me Vintage Fashion Fair. On 31 October (Halloween) beautiful retro clothing, accessories, fabric was exhibited and sold in Chelsea Town Hall
- Pia's Vintage Style Wardrobe
- Pia's Vintage Style Wardrobe. She is just a girl from London's street. She shares her photos, her thoughts and her inspiration on Vintage Fashion Club...
- 1940s Clothing. VIntage Fashion Ideas
- 1940s clothing has different bright trends. Women started to wear 'slack suits' for relaxing at home or for manual work. Journalist Ann Scott was one of the first women who made men's style trouser su
- Stiletto Shoes
- Stiletto shoes is an icon of the 20th century fashion. Both the shape of the hills and the classical pattern of the shoes are so perfect that they haven't been changed for the whole century.
- Vintage Market Backstage
- Vintage market backstage! London retro and antiques markets from the inside... Organisers give exclusive interview to Vintage Fashion Club...
- Vinatge Fashion by Jessica Cangiano
- There is one girl among us, vintage fashion fans, whose vintage Blog is an outstanding online place of positivity, style, deep historical knowledge, understanding of fashion...
- Top 20 Vintage Glasses
- Vintage glasses and eyewear we found in the Internet for you
- Vintage Nylons to Polish Your Retro Look
- Learn 7 Useful Facts about Vintage Nylons'… 1. Nylons toes Reinforced and matching the seam and welt. 2. Traditionally, nylon stockings were manufactured on machines...
- Russian Vintage
- Russian Vintage is an actual history of Soviet fashion. As you can imagine soviet fashion had its own strong image, which had been hidden from the rest of the world for such a long time...
- Vintage Fashion News
- Here are vintage fashion news, events, exciting exhibitions in London, the UK and the whole world. Please see our Blog for the vintage fashion new articles...
- Top 20 Vintage Wedding Dresses
- Here they are: Best Vintage Wedding Dresses. What made them the most remarkable wedding dresses of the last century? Who wore them and who designed the masterpieces...
- Top 10 vintage wedding gowns
- Here is the list of the top 10 original vintage wedding gowns, the best 10 for any vintage style wedding. We carefully collected them for you among all the other beautiful dresses in the internet...
- Top 20 Retro Dresses to Buy on-line
- Looking for a beautiful vintage dress for my stylish Christmas party I came across those 20 retro dresses that I consider to be The Best in the whole Internet… Please help to pic the right one or…
- Vintage Corset that creates the mood
- A vintage corset is a thing that creates a beautiful erotic mood if you are going to have a perfect vintage style date. And no surprise why. This beautiful retro item is sexy and romantic, it's about
- 10 Vintage Bras' Facts
- Do you know that the first bra was invented in 1913 by Mary Phelps Jacobs? The most remarkable among vintage bras are of course conical bras or bullet bras as it makes the breasts bullet shaped...
- Vintage handkerchiefs
- Any, even a tiniest one, of those gorgeous beauties from the past — vintage handkerchiefs, has so much memory in it. It is tender memory of the childhood, sweet nostalgia of romantic love...
- Indonesian Vintage Fashion
- Indonesia has a very rich culture, heritage and art scene, however vintage threads do not have the same following as in some other Western countries. I think this is partly due to the fact that many p
- Vintage Bowling Shoes and How to Buy Them
- Helpful tips and advices on how and where to buy vintage bowling shoes... All bowling shoes are specially constructed so that the bowler can slide ...
- Vintage Fashion Film 'Dimensions'
- Vintage Fashion Club is thrilled to announce a great event in the Films and Vintage fashion world: a new film ‘Dimensions’...
- Solanah's Vintage Fashion
- Vintage Fashion Club is caring on interviewing vintage fashion bloggers. This time it's charming Solanah, the author of Vintage Vixen, a fabulous fashion blog about vintage.
- Iryna Style
- Iryna Vintage
- Site Map
- Vintage Fashion Club Site Map. Links to all the existing articles about vintage clothing and accessories, retro and antique markets and shops, tips and tricks, interviews and reviews...
- About Us
- Vintage Fashion Club is a group of people... ordinary boys and girls, who just love vintage fashion... very much.. obsessed with it to be exact...
- Brick Lane Market
- Today Brick Lane Market is at its best... Every girl or boy entering the shop is a picture, every older person visiting it because of nostalgia probably is a character
- Vintage News
- More vintage news from London and the UK about all the vintage themed great openings, boutique sales, exhibition announcements, retro club invitations and much much more.
- Vintage Bermondsey Street
- Vintage Bermondsey street is a great fashion place itself. There are small retro fashion boutiques, a fashion textile museum, even pet couture here...
- Vintage Shops in London
- Vintage shops investigation in London: everything you could possibly fall in love with were there: retro shops, young fashion designers boutiques, little organic cafes, tiny independent art galleries…
- DaryaB Fashion Inspiration
- DaryaB Fashion Stylist from Italy demonstrates her amazing wardrobe, gives her tips and advice
- Wired Vintage Items Shop in London
- This is probably the most unique vintage shop in Shoreditch - no name, no website, no price tags... All the vintage items in the shop are so random...
- My Vintage Jewelry Experience
- I've always been a hugue fan of chunky vintage jewelry, I hated thin chain braslets, flowery juvenile rings
- Italy Vintage Glamour Mood
- This is my first post for Vintage Fashion Club. I will be publishing my fashion investigations, style experiments, my retro discoveries and vintage glamour looks...